Perfect for using up leftover mash (if you made too much) so that nothing goes to waste, these crispy Mash Potato Cakes make a delicious vegetarian lunch, served with salad and perhaps a poached egg on top. Or you can have them as a tasty accompaniment to your evening meal.
- 250g mashed potatoes – our large washed potatoes are great for this!
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (finely chopped)
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Combine all the ingredients (except the oil) together in a bowl and mix well
- Check the seasoning and adjust the salt and pepper to taste
- Shape the potato mixture into six rounds
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the potato cakes for approx. 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden and slightly crispy.
- Serve as an accompaniment to your meal or with salad and a poached egg.