Rainy days and cold nights is what we expect living in the UK at this time of year.
But we will let you in on a secret of how to make it a bit more bearable… lots of potatoes and even more cheese! Here is a recipe from co-founder Laura Strathern that is guaranteed to make those winter blues disappear.
“This is one of those recipes that I’ve never had to measure before! It’s been passed through the family for years and it’s a simple, delicious and hearty dish for when the weather gets colder – and easily halved. I hope you like it.”
- 1kg Fairfields Farm baking or white potatoes
- 250g cheese, grated (we use Red Leicester and strong Cheddar)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200ml milk
- 2 x large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp chives or half spring onion, chopped
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Butter or cooking spray (for greasing)
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C.
2. Peel and chop your potatoes to roughly 3cm square and place in a
large saucepan, cover with slightly salted water and bring to the boil.
Cook until tender (approx. 15 minutes)
3. Drain the cooked potatoes, and mash them – you can use the pan you
cooked them in to save washing up.
4. Mix the milk with the potatoes until smooth, then add in most of the
cheddar, and then the egg. You can add more cheese and half of the
chives here if you’d like. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
5. Transfer to a greased casserole dish and pop the mixture in the oven
for 30 minutes. Then remove the dish, add the remaining cheese to the
top and layer the sliced tomatoes on top. Return to the oven for 5-10
minutes or until it looks too delicious to wait any longer.
6. Scatter with chopped chives or spring onion to serve, then dig in!
FARM FRESH POTATOES AND HANDCOOKED CRISPS DELIVERED TO YOU MONTHLY
Did you know our monthly potato and crisp subscription boxes come with a featured recipe like this one?
One box will provide you with loose bakers, baby potatoes, chipping potatoes and roasting potatoes making up 26 servings of potatoes for meals overall. Plus, because they are farm fresh, they will last you all month – though be sure to store them in a cool, dark place.
With this subscription box, you can also select your favourite flavours of our hand cooked crisps, choose from any combination of our 7 flavours to suit your tastes – or to please the whole family!
Shop now at https://fairfieldsfarmcrisps.co.uk/shop/